AND the Witch
King Queen of Angmar, with a fell-beast on her leg.
As promised. Sauron and a Palantir.
Perhaps the inhabitants of Middle Earth would have been less scared of Sauron if it turned out
he she was just a big babe.
My version of fan art. ;)
It’s so hot here in Toronto that all I am able to do is play around on Microsoft Paint and complain.
Just telling it like it is!
'Flux' Rebecca Ladds, 2011.
1.state of flux - a state of uncertainty about what should be done (usually following some important event) preceding the establishment of a new direction of action.
I was doodling and looked down and this happened. Not too sure how it came about.
'Emma!' Rebecca Ladds, 2011.
It’s my roomate’s 21st birthday today! I wanted to quickly draw her something special.
She is obsessed with the Harry Potter books, and the movies, therefore in love with Emma Watson. This started out as a joke but ended up with me sacrificing a night of sleep because I started to enjoy myself drawing her and watching a couple of the movies simultaneously.
I guess it’s good timing with the part 2 of the last movie coming out in the next few days. I hope she likes it! <3
edit: I gave her a septum ring for the hell of it. Artistic license baby. ;)
'Rhinocerous Beetle' Rebecca Ladds, 2011.
'Japanese Rhinoceros Beetle' Rebecca Ladds, 2011.
Inks and pens and non functional lightbulbs. (by rebeccaladds)
Koh-I-Nor in Burnt Sienna
Koh-I-Nor in Raw Sienna
Bombay in Grass Green
Calli in Burgundy
Bombay in White
Speedball in Super Black
Ball-pointed outlining nib.
No-name blue ink.
I always get questions on my workspace, and seeing as I just cleaned it and it looks all pretty, I thought I would take you all on a little tour of the essentials and necessities of what I need to be a happy worker in this little area. :)
1. Cutting board. Protects my drawing table, and the built in ruling lines are SO so helpful.
2. Skull. I’m always looking at it for reference, and it opens up for storage of my jewellery and some bones/feathers, which I also use for reference.
3. Grooveshark. I always need music! Right now it’s playing the sweet sounds of Beirut, which always inspires me to make something beautiful.
4. Pens and Inks. I’ve used one level of my wooden shelf from THIS post for keeping my nibs organized and from being broken. They fit so perfectly in the little glass tubes. I also have my real feather quill on the end, which I hardly use unless I’m feeling like I need to be dapper and classy, ie, never.
5. Good Lighting. My room seems too dim a lot of the time, so I use two lamps for the best possible lighting and to keep the light balanced, because I’m ocd about balance.
6. Ideas. I’m always pulling up random sketches from old sketchbooks and seeing if I can rework them. I pin up the ones that I know I want to revisit and develop more.
7. Inspiration. My inspiration always changes, but at the moment it’s this magazine editorial cut outs of women in leather and lace looking all beautiful-like.
8. Middle Earth. My original art framed map of Tolkien’s Middle Earth, simply because it keeps me happy. I’m obsessed with LOTR if you didn’t know that already. ;)
9. Almond Milk. Nom nom nom.
10. Art Goodies. Knife, scissors, pencils, brush, eraser, charcoal, sharpies, rulers, whatever I need. I like to use old jam jars because once you fill a bunch of them up it looks all nice and cluttery when everything else is neat.
I love seeing workspaces of artists, especially ones that are so unlike mine, ones that are covered in paint and messy and cluttered, I always find it fascinating.
Anyone want to show me theirs!?
All three together. Just a mini series to exercise my brain.
'Sharp Like Knives [Study One]' Rebecca Ladds, 2011.
I haven’t picked up a pencil or updated in days because I’ve been really sick, but I was going crazy so I sketched this out quick and decided to be adventurous and finally use some goldleaf I’ve had sitting around for a couple years!
This in combination with using kraft coloured paper and some white charcoal has made me feel better and less crazy… and more inspired!
I need to recover quick so I can work more with these mediums.
Detail of Canonization: Death. (by rebeccaladds)
I made a flickr (well I finally uploaded some stuff to it) so I could upload random process pictures or just daily snapshots I don’t feel like posting on here.
I’ll only post the relevant ones, but I thought I should let you know!
Progress and detail of ‘Canonization: Truth’ Rebecca Ladds, 2011.
Apologies for the mystery grainy-ness of the image. I like the way he’s turning out.